Site selection and analysis of energy grid connection possibilities
Today, wind power is one of the safest forms of electricity generating. According to data provided by the Ukrainian Wind Energy Association (UWEA), the total installed wind power capacity reached 1,251 MW in the third quarter of 2020; on September 1st 2019, this figure was 793.6 MW. This indicates that the demand for the use of renewable energy sources, particularly wind power, is increasing.
The capacity and amount of energy generated depends directly on the wind speed and is a key factor in selecting a wind farm site.
The gathering of information starts with an analysis of the selected terrain and includes:
– Collection of meteorological characteristics database, wind speed data of the area;
– Topographical analysis of maps and terrain;
– Selection of possible wind turbine models with the following rated capacities according with the Ukrainian state norms DSTU 3896:2007, DSTU 4037-2001, DSTU 4051-2001, DSTU 4225:2003;
– Carrying out surveys (monitoring) of the main groups of flora and fauna in the area of the proposed planned activity;
– Audit, in particular, as to whether the land plot belongs to the Emerald network and coastal protective zones, the presence of nearby forest belts, the distance to the nearest residential development;
– Assessment of the socio-economic development of nearby settlements.
This phase will assess the feasibility of locating the WTG on the selected land plot.
In parallel, the requirements at the technological stage should be assessed including:
– Availability of electricity transmission lines (OHTL) of 110 kW or more nearby, availability of a transformer substation;
– The availability of National Energy Company transmission lines nearby is also a plus;
– Evaluate the ease of delivery of parts of the WTGs to the site;
– Ability to deliver crane and associated construction equipment;
– Consider preliminary placement of turbines according to wind rose statistics. For more accurate placement, we use WindPro software, which considers technological characteristics, wind statistical data, and topography.
Technological connection is a complex service delivered to legal entities and individuals who will transfer the generated energy of facilities built or reconstructed (with an increase in permitted capacity) in order to enable the consumption (output) of electric power and providing for the actual connection of energy receiving devices (power installations) of consumers to electric grid facilities.
Technological connection to facilities in some cases involves reconstruction of the main grid complex, may include construction of high-voltage lines, additional transformer substations, changes in the connection scheme of existing distribution lines. The implementation of technological connection project involves the conclusion of an agreement on the provision of electricity transmission services.
The technological connection is carried out in accordance with Decree No. 310 from March 14, 2018, of the National Commission, which carries out state regulation in the field of energy and municipal services.
Our company provides a full analysis of the site information for the construction of the WTGs and the possibility of connection to the energy grid, as well as a preliminary audit of land and territory, both separately and in conjunction with the fully development.